Ph.D., Philosophy, SUNY-Binghamton
M.A., Philosophy, SUNY-Binghamton
B. A., Philosophy, Randolph-Macon College
Feminist Theory, Continental Philosophy, Disability Studies, Queer Theory, Critical Race Theory, Ethics, and Environmental Philosophy
Books and Edited Volumes:
- Oxford Handbook of Feminist Philosophy (under contract with Oxford University Press), co-editor with Ásta Sveinsdóttir.
- New Conversations in Feminist Disability Studies, Special Issue of Hypatia: Journal of Feminist Philosophy 30.1 (2015), guest editor.
- Feminist Disability Studies (Indiana University Press, 2011), Editor.
- Special issue of NWSA Journal on Feminist Disability Studies, vol.14, no.3 (Fall 2002), guest editor.
- Whiteness: Feminist Philosophical Reflections, co-edited with Chris J. Cuomo (Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield, 1999).
Selected Articles and Book Chapters:
- "Thinking Queerly about Sex and Sexuality," in The Philosophy of Sex, 7th edition, eds. Raja Halwani, Alan Soble, Sarah Hoffman, and Jacob M. Held (Rowman and Littlefield, forthcoming).
- "Feminist and Queer Intersections with Disability Studies," in The Routledge Companion to Feminist Philosophy, eds. Ann Gary, Serene Khader, and Alison Stone (Routledge, 2017).
- "Queer Epistemology and Epistemic Injustice," In The Routledge Handbook on Epistemic Injustice, eds. Gaile Pohlhaus, Ian Kidd, and José Medina (Routledge, 2017).
- "Cripping Sustainability, Realizing Food Justice," In Disability Studies and the Environmental Humanities: An Anthology, eds. Sarah Jacquette Ray and J.C. Sibara (University of Nebraska Press, 2017).
- "New Conversations in Feminist Disability Studies: Feminism, Philosophy, and Borders," Editor's Introduction to guest edited special issue of Hypatia Journal of Feminist Philosophy titled New Conversations in Feminist Disability Studies 30:1 (2015): 1-12.
- "Toward a Queer Crip Feminist Politics of Food," philoSOPHIA: A Journal of Continental Feminism 14.2 (Summer 2014: 177-196.
- "No Failure: Climate Change, Radical Hope, and Queer Crip Feminist Futures," Radical Philosophy Review, Vol. 17, No.1, 2014: 203-225.
- "'Not Much to Praise in Such Seeking and Finding': Evolutionary Psychology, the Biological Turn in the Humanities, and the Epistemology of Ignorance," Hypatia: Journal of Feminist Philosophy, Vol. 27, No.1, Spring 2012: 28-49.
- "Queer Breasted Experience," In "You've Changed: Sex Reassignment and Personal Identity, ed. Laurie J. Shrage (New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009), 121-134.
- "Queer Breasted Experience," American Philosophical Association Newsletter on Feminism and Philosophy, Vol.6, No.2, Spring 2007.
- "Queerness, Disability, and the Vagina Monologues," Hypatia: Journal of Feminist Philosophy 20(1), Winter 2005, 99-119. Reprinted in Philosophy and Sex, 4th edition, eds. Robert B. Baker and Kathleen J. Wininger (Prometheus Books, 2009).
Selected Encyclopedia and Keyword Articles:
- "Gender," Keywords in Disability Studies, eds. David Serlin, Rachel Adams, and Benjamin Reiss (New York: New York University Press, forthcoming 2014).
- "Gender," In Encyclopedia of American Disability History, 3 Volumes, ed. Susan Burch (Facts on File, 2009).
- "Queer Theory," In Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy, eds. J. Baird Callicott and Robert Frodeman (Gale Cengage, 2008).
- "Queer Theory," Sex from Plato to Paglia: A Philosophical Encyclopedia, Volume 2, ed.Alan Soble (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2006).
- "Lesbian Feminism," Sex from Plato to Paglia: A Philosophical Encyclopedia, Volume 1, ed.Alan Soble (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2006).
Title: Professor of Philosophy and Director of Gender, Women's, and Sexuality Studies
Department: Philosophy and Religion
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-6817